Art History Bachelor’s Degree
Earn a Fine Arts B.A. in Art History in Florence, Italy
Known as the birthplace of modern humanism, naturalistic arts and scientific inquiry, Florence, Italy was the cradle of Renaissance civilization - the place where Dante, Brunelleschi, Botticelli, and Leonardo da Vinci forever changed the way we see the world. Florence, Italy is the ideal destination for those interested in an Art History major. Marist’s Florence, Italy based four-year study abroad Bachelor’s degree program offers unparalleled access to museums, festivals, and artists in the richest historical art environments in Europe.
Why Earn a Fine Arts Bachelor’s Degree with a Concentration in Art History in Italy?
Marist’s Florence based art courses stimulate and develop students’ individual creativity, providing them not only with the technical skills but also the conceptual insights necessary for the development of artistic talent. The B.A. in Fine Arts with a concentration in Art History is a four-year study abroad Bachelor’s degree program designed to provide both a survey of western art and an in-depth study of selected periods. In addition to the required art history course work, students must pursue an alternative discipline, taking 3 courses in Italian Language, History, Literature, or Studio Art. Marist provides students majoring in Art History with the tools necessary for entering the competitive labor market.
The Art History Bachelor’s degree curriculum prepares students for a variety of art history focused careers, such as archivist, art gallery manager, curator, art buyer, and art investor. Marist prepares students for successful careers in these fields by utilizing Florence’s rich history in the arts to teach students about applying historical context to better understand a work of art. The Art History Bachelor’s degree program’s faculty is well versed in the international art business, and teaches students the art expertise needed to pursue art history-focused careers or continue their education through an advanced degree.
Careers in Art Histroy
- Art gallery
- Art Investment
Requirements for a Bachelor's of Arts in Fine Arts: Art History
Note: A minimum of 90 credits in Liberal Arts is required.
- Major course requirements
- Core/Liberal Arts Studies & Foundation Requirements
- Core Curriculum Courses
- Courses Requirements (18 Credits)
- PDM190 Fundamentals of Art & Design: Color Theory
- ART110 Basic Drawing / PDM130 Principles of Drawing and Composition
- ART180 History of Western Art I: Antiquity to Early Renaissance
- ART186 History of Western Art II: High Renaissance to Present
- CSIS103 Information & Computer Literacy
- ART477 Capping Courses/ART355/CLT355 Images and Word
- Course Requirements (15 Credits)
- Selection of five additional courses in Art History
- Alternate Discipline Courses (9 Credits)
- Each Art History student must take three (3) courses in one of the following alternate disciplines: Italian Language, History, Literature, or Studio Art.
- Core / Liberal Studies & Foundation Requirements (42-45 Credits)
- Elective Course Requirements (33 - 36 Credits)
Total Requirement for Graduation (120 Credits)
The Marist-LdM program is the only four-year U.S. bachelor degree program in Florence, Italy. B.A. in Art History courses are taught in English by international faculty. While at university, in addition to taking focused classes related to the Art History major, undergraduate students will begin taking courses in Marist College’s recognized core-curriculum designed to develop undergraduate students’ critical thinking, writing, and communication skills.